Sunday, April 14, 2013

Enzyme Treatment Can Decrease Anaphylactic Response to Royal Jelly

Hypoallergenicity and Immunological Characterization of Enzyme-Treated Royal Jelly from Apis mellifera
Royal jelly (RJ), the exclusive food for queen bees, is taken as a dietary supplement because it is highly rich in nutrients. However, RJ is known to induce an anaphylactic response in some individuals.
We evaluated in the present study the hypoallergenicity of alkaline protease-treated RJ in vitro and in vivo.
We first confirmed that this treated RJ contained the same levels of vitamins, minerals and specific fatty acid as in untreated RJ. We then showed that the IgE-binding capacity of the treated RJ was very significantly reduced by conducting in vitro assays of the blood from RJ-sensitive patients. An in vivo skin-prick test on the RJ-sensitive patients also showed that, in the majority of the patients (3 out of 4 tested), the treated RJ did not evoke any allergenic response.
It is thus advantageous to prepare hypoallergenic RJ by a protease enzyme treatment for its safe consumption.

No comments: