Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Arthritis Helped by Honey, Apple-Cider Vinegar Combo

Arthritis Responds to Remedy
The Times Tribune (USA), 12/21/2009

Q: Fifty years ago I made my living driving a car. I developed arthritic pain in my hands, which at times was almost unbearable. I was told that two tablespoons of honey and one tablespoon of apple-cider vinegar in a glass of water each day might help. Because it was inexpensive, my wife and I decided to try it. No. 1: It tasted good. No. 2: After a time, it did help.

I've been driving ever since. My wife and I work out six days a week. Her hobby is sewing, and mine is woodworking. Needless to say, our breakfast drink has never changed. I take next to no meds, so something must have helped. We are 84 years young and just celebrated our 65th wedding anniversary.

A: Congratulations. Sixty-five years of marriage is a monumental event in anyone's book, but especially in this day and age.

The honey-and-apple-cider-vinegar remedy has been purported to heal many ailments. Honey alone or mixed with tea is good for soothing sore throats and coughs. Apple-cider vinegar supposedly eliminates heartburn. To the best of my knowledge, no scientific studies have been performed, but perhaps these common, simple ingredients need to be looked into further. One or both have persisted through the years as a home or folk remedy, so perhaps there is something to it…

No comments: